Chris Sturgis visited four schools in Chicago transitioning towards competency education. Learn what Chicago is bringing to the conversation about personalized learning and competency education in this blog series:
- CBE in Chicago
- Leap Innovations – Learning Exponentially for Advancing Potential
- Loving Learning at Lovett Elementary
- Personalizing Learning at West Belden
- Getting Results at Lindblom
- Servant to Two Masters: Balancing Skills and Content at Lindblom
- Juarez Community Academy: When Big Schools Become Competency-Based
James Rickabaugh, senior advisor at Wisconsin’s Institute for Personalized Learning, has written a blog series on Student Focused Learning in Springdale, Arkansas. Learn about Springdale’s innovative, promising ideas worth sharing:
- Springdale, Arkansas: A Tradition of Innovation and Future of Opportunity
- Building Learning Momentum at Springdale’s School of Innovation
- Finding Time and Providing Support for Student-Driven Learning
CompetencyWorks published a four-part blog series reflecting on the intersection of competency education in K-12 and higher education:
- Some of These Things Are Not Like the Others: CBE in Higher Ed and K12
- The Field of CBE in Higher Education and K12
- Streamlining the Transition Between K12 and Higher Education
- Thinking About Design Elements and Quality Standards
The field has produced a number of resources and reports advancing personalized, competency education. Here are a few to highlight:
- Designing New School Models: A Practical Guide, published by Springpoint.
- The MyWays Success Framework: Student Competencies for Learning, Work and Life, published by Next Generation Learning Challenges.
- Leadership for Learning: What is Leadership’s Role in Supporting Success for Every Student? published by the National Center for Innovation in Education.
- Building Towards Mastery: Tools and Practices for Supporting Overage and Under-Credited Adolescents in a Mastery-Based Learning Environment, published by the New York City Department of Education.
- Personalized Learning: A Journey through Year One, published by Imaginarium, the Denver Public Schools Innovation Lab.
- Innovation in Accountability: Designing Systems to Support School Quality and Student Success, published by the Center for American Progress.
- Low-Stakes Completion-Based Funding: A New Approach to Financing Competency-Based Education, published by Florida Southwestern State College School of Education and the National Center for Innovation in Education.
Chris Sturgis, MetisNet
Susan Patrick, iNACOL
Natalie Abel, iNACOL