Earlier this week, iNACOL published a new issue brief, Modernizing the Teaching Workforce for Learner-Centered, Competency-Based, Equity-Oriented Education: State Policy Recommendations.
This issue brief highlights state policy opportunities to create a shared vision to modernize professional learning for educators in a K-12, competency-based education system. Educators will be prepared for a future-focused profession that better meets the 21st-century demands of student learning and workforce needs. In it, we make five recommendations to leverage the unique role of state policymaking:
- Convening a state task force to craft a unifying vision and roadmap;
- Increasing the diversity of the educator workforce;
- Preparing teachers for learner-centered, competency-based, equity-oriented education;
- Redesigning teacher licensure and credentialing; and
- Building balanced systems of assessments that enable learner-centered, competency-based, equity-oriented teaching. The brief also details specific policy actions for each recommendation.
The newly published issue brief builds off a vision set in a larger report, Moving Toward Mastery: Growing, Developing and Sustaining Educators for Competency-Based Education. iNACOL is publishing a series of issue briefs that expand on the actions needed by stakeholders in the K-12 system. In addition to this new issue brief for state policymakers, another issue brief describes a role for federal policymakers.