Once upon a time, there was only one book, Delivering on the Promise, where you could find an explanation of competency-based education (although they didn’t call it that in Chugach). Now there are more resources than anyone can possibly read while still doing your day job. Below are a number of resources prepared for a panel on the Journey Towards Competency-Based Progressions with Jeremiah Newell, Mobile Area Education Foundation, Chip Linehan, Building 21, and Nate McClennen, Teton Science Schools, at the New Schools Venture Fund Summit. I always value the recommendations from practitioners and want to share them with others. I’ve also added the growing list of books on competency-based education as well.
- Broader, Deeper Competencies for Student Success from NGLC My Ways
- Carol Dweck Revisits the “Growth Mindset
- Building21 Open Resources
- What is Performance-based Assessment?
- redesignu Performance Tasks
- Center for Collaborative Education Quality Performance Tasks
- End of Average by Todd Rose (and video)
Books on Competency-Based Education
- Competency-Based Education: A New Architecture for K-12 Schooling by Rose Colby
- Beyond Reform: Systemic Shifts Toward Personalized Learning by Lindsay Unified School District
- A Handbook for Personalized Competency-Based Education: Ensure All Students Master Content by Designing and Implementing a PCBE System by Robert Marzano Jennifer Norford, Michelle Finn and Douglas Finn
- Breaking With Tradition: The Shift to Competency-Based Learning in PLCs at Work (Why You Should Switch to Student-Centered Learning for All) by Brian Stack and Jonathan Vander Els
From CompetencyWorks (just in case you haven’t seen them)
- Meeting Students Where They Are
- Designing for Equity: Leveraging Competency-Based Education to Ensure All Students Succeed
- Implementing Competency Education in K-12 Systems: Insights from Local Leaders
What are your favorite resources or the ones that were most impactful to understanding and implementing personalized, competency-based education? Let us know!