What’s New in Competency-Based Higher Education?
CBEinfo is hosting its final webinar in a series on competency-based education for community colleges:
- Tuesday, May 3, 3:00 p.m. ET: Sustainability Challenges. Register here.
FYI: If you missed the prior webinars in this series, you can access the recorded archives here.
CBE Higher Ed Programs
- National Louis University is expanding its competency-based, blended education pilot, called Harrison Professional Pathways, to increase access to Chicago-area students. (Learn more here.)
- The University of Texas is rolling out the first of nine competency-based degrees and certificates across regional campuses. Once up and running, these programs will represent the largest-scale CBE degree offered by any public university system in the U.S.
- Purdue’s new competency-based bachelor degree, blending technical disciplines with the humanities, has been accredited.
- Valdosta State University developed an online CBE initiative that adds a science endorsement to the professional credentials of 10 elementary teachers.
- MyPath, an online program that offered accredited bachelor’s degrees, allows students to master competencies on their way to graduating with a degree.
- Experts discuss the need for innovations in higher education and the challenges of student success.
- In this Op/Ed article, Richard Sense calls for starting with faculty when beginning the shift to competency education.
- Professor James M. Lang describes three way to improve learning by giving students a measure of control.
- Dean of University of Wisconsin-Extension David Schejbal champions competency-based education to create flexible, affordable and accessible learning opportunities for non-traditional higher education students.
- This article offers key considerations for implementing alternative higher education programs, such as competency-based education.
Accreditation & Credentialing News
- Accreditors and associations are coming together to create a new group for quality assurance for higher education online courses, boot camps, corporate training and nontraditional education providers.
- Six universities banded together to form a new, non-degree credentialing service through the University of Learning Store.
- The Competency-Based Education Network (CBEN) released a planning resource to help IT professionals ensure that CBE programs are designed and offered effectively and successfully.
- The Lumina Foundation published five new policy briefs exploring outcomes-based funding models in Tennessee and Texas.
- The Christensen Institute released a new report that explores the severe vulnerability of law schools and provides recommendations to include competency-based structures and online programs to renew energy and relevancy.
- This article describes the development of a competency-based social work curriculum in Vietnam and discusses collaborative strategies with U.S. partners. This project can be a reference from which to develop social work education in other countries in regard to global collaboration for the development of social work curriculum based on the CBE model.
For the latest news and updates in competency-based IHE, sign up to receive our monthly newsletter on our home page and follow us on twitter: @CompetencyWorks.