- In a video interview, Western Governors University President Scott Pulsipher explains how the university takes a “customer-centric” approach to higher education.
- Experts say employers are generally accepting of online degrees, but most do not know much about competency education.
- Kasia Kovacs of Inside Higher Ed makes the case against oversimplifying accountability in higher education—noting that focusing on any single measure too heavily creates flawed policy, and focusing on multiple measures gives a clearer picture of institutional performance.
- Inside Higher Ed experts foresee a shift toward alternatives to the traditional college pathway with the new incoming administration, including competency-based programs, skills boot camps and employer certifications.
- Charla Long, a competency-based expert in higher education, wrote an article on ensuring quality in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Deborah Everhart explores the difference between competency-based education (CBE) and competency-based learning (CBL) and offers 5 implementation tips.
- ENQA and Erasmus+ published The Handbook for Internal Quality Management in Competence-Based Higher Education, which includes a procedure designed to help institutions reflect on the best way to implement an internal quality management system suited specifically to competency-based learning and teaching. The handbook is just one part of the larger European Toolkit for Internal Quality Management in Competence-Based Higher Education, a later outcome of the project.
- American Enterprise Institute released The Landscape of Competency-Based Education: Enrollments, Demographics, and Affordability, which explains how competency education offers the opportunity to accelerate learning, provides credit for prior learning, and offers alternative pricing structures—all saving students time and money.
- The Journal of Competency-Based Education released Shifting gears in the classroom—movement toward personalized learning and competency-based education, by Danielle J. Camacho and Jill M. Legare.
Upcoming Event: The first annual CBE best practices conference will be held in Austin, Texas on June 2, 2017. Registration is free. More details are forthcoming, but save the date.
Competency-Based Education Webinar Series
CBE Info announced the continuation of the CBE for Community Colleges webinar series this academic year. The webinars are free to attend.
There is a growing interest in competency-based education (CBE) for higher education as one of the approaches to accelerate students’ progress-to-degree while assuring the quality and validity. The CBEinfo.org webinars will help those that wish to understand how CBE can work and how they can get started on the development of CBE programs at their own institutions.
For more information including speakers, times, and registration, visit here.
- CBE Assessment Delivery and Proctoring, 1/18/2017
- CBE Orientation Courses, 2/15/2017
- CBE Completion Strategies, 3/1/2017
- CBE Transcripting, 4/19/2017