Here is a quick review of some of the great things happening or reported about in competency education last week!
- How Lindsay Unified Redesigned Itself From The Ground Up in Ed Surge
- Step By Step, the Journey Towards Freedom From Grade Levels focuses on Sanborn Regional High School in Mind/Shift
Districts Beginning the Journey
- Freeport School District, Illinois: We haven’t heard much about competency education from Illinois even though one of the earliest models was developed there by the Young Women’s Leadership Charter School. (Note: Although YWLCS was highlighted in A New Model of Assessments for the 21st Century it is no longer a competency-based school). In 2014-15 school year, Freeport is going to being to convert grades K-4 to mastery-based learning. The superintendent leading this effort is Roberta Selleck previously from Adams 50.
New Resources and Reports
- Schools and Software: What’s now and What’s Next by Christensen Institute
- School Leaders Guide to Standards-based Grading by Marzano Research Laboratory