- WCSH in Portland, Maine did a wonderful piece on proficiency-based education. They highlight four elements: 1) progress upon mastery 2) students having voice 3) options beyond school and 4) anytime, anywhere learning. They end with 55 colleges and universities support proficiency-based education. Oh, if all our news coverage could be this good.
- FSG has released a case study Self-Directed Learning at Summit Public Schools.
- Educause has released an innovation brief on Buzz, the information system used by Education Achievement Authority.
- Karla Phillips, the State Policy Director of Competency Based Learning for the Foundation for Excellence in Education looks at Colorado’s graduation policy in Rethinking School.
- Connecting the education value network by Thomas Arnett of the Christensen Institute raises an interesting question about our use of standards and how it might help unify a system.
- Hey, Princeton: Consider Competencies by Michelle R. Weise on the Next Generation Learning Challenges blog.
- PBS’s Rethinking College features College for America’s competency-based approach.
- Julian Alssid, Chief Workforce Strategist at College for America writes about What is Competency Education and Why Does it Matter? in the Huffington Post