Federal Policy, Design for Educational Equity, Issues in Practice, Commit to Equity
Designing for Equity: Leveraging Competency-Based Education to Ensure All Students Succeed
This webinar was recorded on .Access Presentation View Slide Deck
The role of public education has never been more important – it is the bedrock of democracy. Competency-based education holds promise as a uniquely powerful model for fostering equity, but only if equity is an intentional design feature embedded in the culture, structure and pedagogy.
In a recent report titled, Designing for Equity: Leveraging Competency-Based Education to Ensure All Students Succeed, authors Chris Sturgis and Katherine Casey offer equity strategies for personalized, competency-based education to ensure a more equitable K-12 education system. They will share those strategies in an iNACOL Leadership Webinar on July 18, 2018.
Districts, schools, educators and school leaders can use these recommended action steps to develop an equity agenda within their personalized, competency-based systems. The driving questions we will address include:
- How should equity be defined to be meaningful in a personalized, competency-based system?
- Why does the traditional education system need to change and how will competency-based systems offer more equitable learning environments?
- What principles or elements need to be in place to ensure that competency-based education fulfills its promise to offer a more equitable education system?
- How can we work together as a field to ensure that competency-based systems take full advantage of what we know about equity strategies to benefit all students, especially those who have been historically underserved?
View this archived webinar for an in-depth exploration of the report and gain an understanding of implementing a competency-based system that fosters equity.
- Susan Patrick (@susandpatrick), President and CEO, iNACOL; Co-Founder, CompetencyWorks
- Chris Sturgis (@sturgis_chris), Principal, MetisNet; Co-Founder, CompetencyWorks
- Katherine Casey (@katherinebcasey), Founder and Principal, Katherine Casey Consulting