iNACOL 2019 State Policy Priorities
This brief provides analysis of state policy changes needed toward a long-range vision to transform education and ensure our nation’s education systems prepare all students with the skills necessary to achieve success, contribute to their communities and advance society.
Our policy priorities are intentionally constructed to support future-focused states and localities moving forward from their current state of education to future systems that are equity-driven and ensure that every student will experience a prosperous, just and successful future.
For states, the 2019 policy priorities are:
- Redefine student success to prepare all students for college, career and civic life;
- Create meaningful qualifications based on mastery;
- Redesign accountability systems for continuous improvement;
- Build aligned, balanced systems of assessments to certify knowledge and skills;
- Develop educator capacity for next-generation learning;
- Build system and school leadership capacity for change; and
- Establish enabling state policies to create and launch innovative learning models and multiple pathways.