Reaching the Tipping Point: Insights on Advancing Competency Education in New England
This paper explores K-12 competency-based education policy and practice across six New England states: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
This paper explores the core concepts of competency education, detailing the limitations of the traditional system, and how competency education is designed explicitly for equity and student success. Author Chris Sturgis then dives into why and how the New England region embraces competency education. She provides insights into policy strategies being used across states and analyzes the impact of competency education on quality, equity, scaling and sustainability. The Appendix offers a synopsis of each state strategy, complemented by short case studies of a few districts and schools.
Download excerpts of this report:
- Download the full report.
- Download the Executive Summary.
- Excerpt: The Every Student Succeeds Act: A Catalyst for Competency Education at Scale?
- Excerpt: What Is Competency Education?
- Excerpt: A Look at Competency Education in New England
- Excerpt: What Can We Learn about State Level Strategies from the New England States?
Download state profile excerpts:
- State Excerpt: Connecticut: Making Room for Innovation
- State Excerpt: Massachusetts: Home of the Early Innovators
- State Excerpt: Maine: Making the Most of High-Leverage Strategies
- State Excerpt: New Hampshire: Building an Integrated Competency-Based System
- State Excerpt: Rhode Island: Putting Together the Pieces of a Competency-Based System
- State Excerpt: Vermont: Comprehensive Policies of Personalization and Proficiency-Based Learning
Competency education is expanding across the country as a means to ensure all students are mastering the skills and knowledge to be successful in college, career and civic life. This paper explores the core concepts of competency education, provides insights in policy and practice across five New England states, and analyzes the impact of competency education on quality, equity, scaling and sustainability. This report draws lessons learned and insights from educators and policymakers in New England and is intended for district leadership and policymakers seeking to introduce competency-based education within their states.
This report is intended for district leadership and policymakers seeking to introduce competency-based education within their states.