State of the Nation: K-12 Online Learning in Canada (2011)
Online and blended learning are educational innovations that provide courses, teachers, and opportunities for students who may not otherwise have access due to geographic isolation. Canada was one of the first countries to embrace technology and the Internet in order to deliver distance learning courses to students in remote locations. Now, countries around the world are providing these opportunities for all students for a variety of reasons, including the following:
- To avoid scheduling conflicts.
- To provide access for hard-to-staff courses.
- To allow credit recovery.
- To offer dual enrollment with local colleges and universities.
- To supplement the face-to-face classroom.