In case you haven’t signed up for our monthly newsletter, here is our recommended summer reading.
Many teachers and leaders use the summer months to catch up on reading and advance their own professional learning. Start with Competency Education Across America, where you will find links to mini case studies to make it easy for you to learn what other schools and districts are learning.
If you haven’t yet read the following reports, we highly recommend these thought leadership pieces to deepen your knowledge around competency education:
- Looking Under the Hood of Competency-Based Education: The Relationship Between Competency-Based Education Practices and Students’ Learning Skills, Behaviors and Dispositions by the American Institutes for Research
- Implementing Competency Education in K-12 Systems: Insights from Local Leaders by CompetencyWorks
- Promising State Policies for Personalized Learning by iNACOL
- The Past and the Promise: Today’s Competency-Based Education Movement by Jobs for the Future
- Pathways to New Accountability Through the Every Student Succeeds Act by the Learning Policy Institute
If you prefer to delve into books, we offer the following recommendations:
- Delivering on the Promise: The Education Revolution by Richard DeLorenzo, Wendy J. Battino, Rick M. Schreiber and Barbara Gaddy Carrio will introduce you to the basics of competency education.
- The End of Average: How We Succeed in a World that Values Sameness by Todd Rose. (Spoiler alert: Author Todd Rose will be keynoting at the iNACOL Blended and Online Symposium this year. Register to attend here.)
What resources have you read that helped strengthen your understanding of competency education? Let us know via email or on Twitter: @CompetencyWorks.