What’s New in Competency-Based Higher Ed?
Two New Reports
- A new report from the Competency-Based Education Network (C-BEN), provides a snapshot of the changing roles and responsibilities of higher education competency-based programs. This article provides a great overview.
- A Research Brief on the Survey of the Shared Design Elements & Emerging Practices of Competency-Based Education Programs gathered baseline data from CBE programs, gauged program levels of adoption of various CBE practices and designs, and measured how important these elements are and how difficult they are to implement.
- How should liberal arts schools think about competency education, and where should technology fit into this discussion? Joshua Kim shares insights in this op-ed.
- To maximize success in competency-based IHE, William Ryan proposes a strong focus on retention: institutions must consider how to minimize as many barriers to completion as possible.
Below is a competency-based education for community colleges webinar series, hosted by CBEinfo:
- Tuesday, February 2, 3:00 p.m. ET: Retention Issues. Register here.
- Tuesday, March 1, 3:00 p.m. ET: Delivering a CBE Program. Register here.
- Tuesday, April 5, 3:00 p.m. ET: Regulatory Issues. Register here.
- Tuesday, May 3, 3:00 p.m. ET: Sustainability Challenges. Register here.
FYI: If you miss the webinars, you can access the recorded archives here.
Stay up-to-date on the latest news and information on competency-based higher education by following us on Twitter (@CompetencyWorks) and signing up for our monthly newsletter on the CompetencyWorks homepage.