The Competency-Based Education Network, a grant-funded group of 30 institutions with competency-based programs, has become a free-standing nonprofit association and is opening up its membership. See this article in Inside Higher Education.
- A bipartisan bill was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives last week, R.2859—Advancing Competency-Based Education Act of 2017, which would create a demonstration project for CBE programs.
CBE in the News
- This article highlights Temple University’s efforts to establish competencies for business education.
- Steve Gunderson, former congressman and current president and CEO of the Career Education Colleges and Universities, wrote an article about connecting the Higher Education Act to jobs, including a recommendation to provide access to and recognition of credentials and competency-based pathways.
- This article describes why Rwanda needs CBE in institutions of higher learning.
- The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) is sponsoring an Adult Learner Academy workshop in Philadelphia from August 1-3 at Orleans Technical College. Click here for more information.
- The Lumina Foundation, Army University, and the Competency-Based Education Network (C-BEN) hosted an education symposium June 20 and 21 in Kansas City, Mo. The symposium was titled, “A Competency-Based Approach to Talent: Connecting Military, Higher Education, and Workplace Learning” and connected academia, industry and the public sector to work toward developing a competency-based approach to credentialing and talent recruitment/development. Here is an article about the meeting.
- Education Commission of the States released a Policy Snapshot of Competency-Based Education, which provides a summary of 2016 and 2017 legislative activities, and legislation, board policies and programs from prior years.
- AEI released Promoting Innovation in Higher Education by Andrew P. Kelly and Kevin J. James. Here is a summary blog post.