What’s New in Higher Education (October 6)
Coming up soon: CompetencyWorks is releasing a report A Study in Competency Education: Postcards from Abroad with a webinar on October 14th at 1 pm ET. Register here.
And here’s a peek at what’s new in higher education:
- U.S. Audit Faults Education Dept. on Direct Assessment and Confusion on Competency in Inside Higher Education reviews the US Dept of Ed’s review of direct assessment programs.
- Managing Competency Education in Inside Higher Education describes need for “learning relationship management system”.
- Lumina Foundation’s Strategy Labs has compiled resources on competency-based education programs. It’s a great resource.
- Change is Critical to the Future of Higher Education is an op-ed by Robert Mendenhall, Ph.D., ipresident of Western Governors University at US News and World Report.
- Student Voices: Competency-Based Education Key to Improving College Completion and Career Advancement for Adult Students highlights individual students’ experiences in competency-based ed.
- The WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies (WCET) will be holding its annual meeting in Portland, OR, November 19-21 with a couple of sessions on competency education.
In case you missed these reports and briefs:
- What is Competency-based Education
- All Hands on Deck: Ten Lessons from Early Adopters of Competency-based Education
- Maximizing Resources for Student Success by Stephen Porter and Kevin Reilly explore various models emerging in competency-based education and raise key questions and considerations for institutions as they consider this innovative approach
- State Financial Aid Programs and Competency-based Education
- Competency Education and Federal Student Aid