State Policy, Create Enabling Conditions for Competency-Based Education, Issues in Practice, Lead Change and Innovation, Rethink Instruction, Create Balanced Systems of Assessments, Learn Lessons from the Field
Deeper Competency-Based Learning: Making Equitable, Student-Centered, Sustainable Shifts
This webinar was recorded on .Access Presentation View Slide Deck
VIRTUAL POST-SYMPOSIUM SESSION
Do your competency-based learning goals look like 1980s skills checklists, or do they focus on deeper learning? This workshop takes you through five competency-based education “validation pit stops” with research-based tools to analyze the depth and breadth of learning expectations, design instructional progressions and a range of assessments, and verify how grading and reporting reflect each student’s unique, but aligned, body of evidence. School examples and student work will be shared to illustrate different approaches.
- Use tools provided to collaboratively analyze whether local academic and personal success skills competencies are designed to lead to more rigorous learning (DOK 3-4).
- Apply protocols for developing task-neutral performance scales with alternate instructional pathways and aligned performance assessments of deeper learning.
- Explore high-yield strategies for building a competency-based body of evidence that empowers student voice and self-reflection.
- Dr. Karin Hess, President, Educational Research in Action | @DrKarinHess
- Rose Colby, Competency Education Specialist | @rose_rosecolby
- Dan Joseph, Founder/President, Competency Based Education Solutions LLC | @DjosephCBEcoach